Introduction
Eric again! So last time I promised you we would actually, finally, really get to writing sketches. We've done the brainstorming. We've learned about comedic structure. I think it's finally time we get pen to paper and start writing some jokes. You're ready.
FOR REVIEW: I'm writing a sketch about an artsy family coming down on their son for wanting to pursue a stable, if a little boring, career. It's an ironic take on the usual story of having parents act unsupportive of their child's dream to pursue art (I'm sure no small number of you out there can relate).
Brainstorming
Before we do actually start writing the script, I need to do one more teensy weensy word cloud in order to flesh out the main jokes or "beats" I have for my sketch. Each beat needs to be related to the "game" of the sketch (check out my last post for more info), and each beat needs to be more exaggerated or "heightened" than the last.
Just Some Notes
Alright, with that we can plug this bad boy into Celtx and let the magic flow. When writing my first draft, I tend to speed through it as fast as possible to ensure I'm letting my inner creative work, stopping my inner editor from trying to make any adjustments and ruining the flow.
Writing
The Beginning
Here it is, the introduction to the sketch. I wasted no time getting into the game. I've read many sketches that will take pages to get to the funny part of the sketch. If 1 page = 1 minute of video time then that's a lot of boring filler that the audience is NOT interested in. It helps to look at your own work from an audience's point of view. It might be cool to you, the writer, to set up a complicated, elaborate narrative and world, but what the audience is interested in is the comedy. They want to laugh, so help them get there.
I tried to make the parents' reactions visual and dramatic. Generally, exaggeration and hyperbole tend to make for better dialogue, actions, and reactions. The point may not come across as clearly if the parents were only slightly disappointed. Of course, there aren't any rules for this stuff, so make sure to feel it out while you're writing.
Page 1 Continued
Here we have a continuation from where we left off. Not much to say. I liked the line I wrote for Simon. I actually had to copy and paste the Google definition of an actuary in because I did not know what they actually did. I think it would be funny for him to give a dry, boring description to match the dry, boring job. I imagine he's delivering this line theatrically and with passion. Again, I have his parents overreact.
Page 2
I went ahead and included all of page 2 for this next screenshot. Much of this page is just elaboration on the reaction of the parents to Simon's news. I included many of the ideas I generated for things that they could say in response (see Part 2!). These reactions are meant to resemble and invert the typical responses a parent might have on trying get their kid to pursue something more stable:
- You won't make enough money!
- How will you support a family?
- Pursue it as a hobby.
- Family business
- Why can't you be like "So-and-so"?
- Do this other field instead.
After they have their turn to rag on him for awhile, Simon finally snaps and his parents get quiet. This is a perfect moment to return to the "base reality" of the scene. The whole sketch can't just be game. The plot needs to return to the normal reality between beats to give the audience a moment to breathe and a chance to process everything. That being said, returns to the base reality don't last long and I will hit another beat pretty soon.
That will be all for this post! Next time I will finish the sketch and wrap up my thoughts on the piece and on sketch writing as a whole. Stay tuned for more, and thanks for reading!


Comments
Post a Comment